Re: "Indented" Dreadnaught Ends

destorzek@...

---In STMFC@..., <hayden_tom@...> wrote :

"OK, I am quite confused. I have now seen the terms Inverse, Reverse, Inverted, Indented, and Inset Dreadnaught."

Actually, this is the real, original Dreadnaught end, the way Union Metal Products intended. All others are imposters :-) (Well, at least later design changes.)

"I am puzzled about what many ( most?) of you see in these differences. In each case clearly there is shaping of the sheet metal that goes IN and OUT . It seems to me that in every dreadnaught Boxcar end, including my atsf link and David's recent link, the "tapered rolling pin" shape bulges outward. I have never seen a Dreadnaught box card end where the tapered rolling pin shape bulges inward."
You haven't looked enough... they did exist, although shortly after the 1960 cut-off date of this list. Years ago, John Nerich (sp?) wanted to call this a "bifurcated end" or somesuch, because of the apparent forked shape of the pressings, but they are really just the same old Dreadnaught major and minor rib, seen from the other side of the sheet.

 "The biggest differences from the norm that I see in both my photo and David's is that in both cases the riveted seam, where upper and lower part are connected, are at the level of the top surface of the tapered rolling pin shapes. And since this rivet seam is at the same surface point as the corner pieces, this means the the top of the tapered rolling pin shape is at the same plane as the corners. Thus the surfaces between the rolling pin shape are below the plane defined by the corner pieces. Is this what you guys are calling "Inverted" or "Inny"?"

Yep.

"By the way, note that on the N&W end in David's photo the rivet seam is in a flat area that seems to be impressed /pressed into the middle of a rolling pin shape, leaving slight bulges above and below the seam. The drawing David linked does not show that but instead shows the riveted area as a flat area slightly below the surface height of the rolling pin bulges. This would make it slightly less an "inny" than the atsf car I show."

It's there... you are not interpreting the drawing correctly. None of the vertical sectional views are on the car centerline, so these don't show in section. However, if you look at the horizontal sections at the bottom of the sheet, you will see that the large ribs have a graceful swell past a straight line between the plane of the corner flanges. The center seam area is flattened and dose not follow this swell.

Dennis Storzek