Re: Railroads and the Auto Industry: A Research Question

Shawn Beckert

"SP" Paul wrote:

Wrong the Van Nuys Plant was built to assemble Chevy's
and the South Gate was BOP (Buick, Olds & Pontiac) no
Cadillac's were assembled at either plant. As a City
Freight and Passenger Agent I was assigned to the South
Gate plant in the 1960's. About that time all plants
converted over to assemble cars of certain body sizes,
at which time Van Nuys went to the assembling the Camero-
Firebird line and South Gate went to the B body assembly
of Buick, Chevy, Olds and Pontiacs.
All of the Cadillac's that were sold in California were
assembled in Michigan, arriving here in auto cars, then
the stack pac's and finally the tri or by levels.
So, you were an SP passenger agent in the 1960's? Now THERE
was a thankless job...

I don't remember where I read that Cadillac's were built at
South Gate, I'll have to try and find that reference again.

So, do you still have information or documentation from your
days as City Freight Agent that might show pool assignments
or car numbers in GM service? Enquiring minds want to know.

Shawn Beckert