Re: Caboose Signal Valves

Schleigh Mike

Back-up whistles----Stand on the platform while backing up.  Sound whistle as needed/necessary.   Mike

On Sunday, April 27, 2014 2:19 PM, Charles Peck wrote:

It was usual on many railroads to have a whistle on both ends of a caboose
for backing movements across grade crossings and such. Handy to warn
people or livestock as well.  From the caboose one could make a full emergency
brake application.  I suppose a normal brake pipe reduction could be made as
well but might cause a fight with the engineer in pre-radio days.
Passenger cars were set up with a separate signal line for the trainmens use.
I can't say it was not possible to signal using the trainline air but I would think
that by the time the engine got enough air drop to notice, the rear of the
train might be in full application.
Chuck Peck

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 1:53 PM, <chris_hillman@...> wrote:

In the process of building some caboose models, I've noticed, on the end-platforn railings, there are some small valves with a vertical handle. I thought that I'd read long ago, that there was an air-valve in the caboose for sending signals to the engineer using the train air-line.

I Googled "Caboose Signal Valve" and it came up as a caboose-valve for setting the brakes from the caboose if in the case of an emergency, or for braking the caboose if it's been uncoupled and free-rolling. It said that this valve was inside the caboose and was used by the conductor.

In one caboose photo there are 2 such valves on a pipe "Y" with one air-pipe coming up from the end-beam.

What would have been the "real" purpose of these end-hand-rail valves?

Thanks, Paul Hillman