From: Richard Hendrickson
To: "STMFC@..."
Sent: Sunday, April 27, 2014 10:19 AM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Santa Fe Bx-11/12 extended roof rebuilds

On Apr 25, 2014, at 8:33 PM, John Barry <northbaylines@...> wrote:

Richard,
Rats, there went that idea for simplifying life.  I had hoped to standardize on one configuration.  Looking at the Oct 45 and Jan 53 ORER, it looks like the total of 10'6 rebuilds was on the order of 4200, but I cann't find a figure for the 10' rebuilds.

Larry Occhello’s Freight Cars by Class and Car Number 1906-1991, which I find to be an invaluable reference, shows 2,000 Bx-11s rebuilt with extended roofs in 1941.  Of these, 1017 were renumbered into the 210000-211049 series beginning in 1945,   From this, I infer that the renumbered cars were those with 10’6” IH and the others, which kept their original numbers, were those with 10’ IH.  Of the Bx-12s, Those renumbered 211050-214549 beginning in 1945 eventually totaled 3213 by 1951, when it can be assumed that all of them had been renumbered.  Of course, that total of over 3,000 cars doubtless doesn’t reflect a handful of cars that were probably wrecked and written off between the time they were rebuilt and the time they were renumbered, but it’s close enough to extrapolate the number of cars needed in a model freight car fleet.  FWIW, 493 rebuilt Bx-11s and 897 rebuilt Bx-12s had been renumbered by 1947 and those numbers had increased to 765 and 2320 by 1949, so - depending on the month and year you model - many, or at least some, still had their original numbers.

Richard Hendrickson