Re: Speaking of Departed companies : Train-Minature

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Andy,

Originally TM cars came with spring trucks. Their detail was much better than those from Athearn or Roundhouse, and arch bar, Andrews and "Bettendorf" types were offered. I don't remember one-piece trucks. The sprung trucks were offered Walthers' ownership. I still have some of these on my equipment, all with Kadee wheels. The sprung trucks are particularly useful as caboose trucks with the old Walthers leaf spring replacements.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 5/16/14 12:51 AM, Andy Harman gsgondola@... [STMFC] wrote:

At 10:13 PM 5/15/2014 -0400, you wrote:

>One thing I absolutely hated about the Train Miniature cars were the
>trucks and wheel sets. It seemed to me they collected more dirt than any
>other set of wheels. I loved the detail of the trucks but they needed to
>be reamed out to fit their own axles.

I put Kadee trucks on many of my TM cars. They were pricey but worth the
trouble. IIRC the TM cars had all plastic trucks - one piece molded
wheel/axle combo, in a plastic sideframe. I think the delrin-on-delrin
friction must have generated quite an electrical charge that attracted crud
of all kinds.

When I started running wet track in the late 1970s, the amount of crud
buildup on wheels was reduced considerably, but the plastic wheels always
seemed to get the worst of it.

Andy