Re: Western of Alabama hopper details

Richard Hendrickson

On May 25, 2014, at 5:01 PM, abrown@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

I’m detailing an Accurail USRA twin hopper as a Western of Alabama car, series 11000-11044.  (They were “clones” built in 1923, not USRA originals.) I’ve seen the broadside photo in Bob Karig’s hopper book, so now I’m interested in the details on the B end: brake wheel, hand brake, brake step, cut lever, retainer valve. Can anyone direct me to a photo showing the B end, or a diagram book?
Bill, I have two photos of WofA 11017 reweighed in ’56.  One is a broadside (possibly the one in Bob’s book); the other is a 7/8 view showing the B end.  It’s a bit fuzzy, but it you want it I’ll see what I can do with it in Photoshop.  It shows that the car had, by that time, been retrofitted with a Miner poweer handbrake.

Richard Hendrickson