Soil pipe versus sewer or water pipe


Hi all,
The pipe that Shapeways produced is commonly called soil pipe and is used primarily in building construction. Normally cast iron or ductile iron pipe has a shorter and more tapered bell. The comment that these two varieties of pipe come in 18' sticks is correct. A fitted gasket for the cast or ductile pipe is inserted into a groove in the bell, and the spigot end of the next joint of pipe is slipped in, creating a water tight seal. Before rubber gaskets fiber and lead joints were used.
Rick Dietrichson
Wilmington, NC

Join to automatically receive all group messages.