Re: terra cotta roofing tiles

William Keene <wakeene@...>

Hi Ed and Group,

A number of years ago, I pulled down of a web site an image of SLSF 85954, a USRA composite gondola, loaded with what appears to be cast iron pipe of about — guessing here — 18-feet in length. There are partial images of similar cars coupled to both ends of this car also loaded with cast iron pipe. The date of the photo is given as 1958, which could be considered as a fairly late date for a USRA car to be in service. My plan is to model this car and load.

I doubt that anyone would walk away carrying one of these lengths of pipe.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On May 25, 2014, at 1:17 PM, ed_mines@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

 Henry Maywald told me he saw a Rio Grande stock car loaded with terra cotta tiles here on Long Island in the '50s.

I don't think anything of value that could be carried away would be shipped in open top cars.

Ed Mines