Re: Did I Ruin It?

A&Y Dave in MD

The haze, as I understand it, is the talc in dullcote coming out of a certain chemical state. I have applied alcohol or more dullcote to return the talc into a state that creates a flat appearance instead of the white coloring. Chemists may explain the states of the talc, e.g., colloidal suspension, etc.

Dave Bott

On May 27, 2014, at 9:59 AM, "'Andrew Miller' aslmmiller@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

I am glad to say that I have never had exactly this experience, so my
suggestions are mostly conjecture. I have had cases where Dullcote turns
white when it dries on a model. I have always suspected that it has
something to do with the humidity, but I would be happy to have someone with
real knowledge of this awful experience to chime in. In your case I suspect
the alcohol produced this effect.

The only solution I have ever found is to put several more layers of
Dullcote on the model. It will dissolve the haze, and if things go well the
haze will not entirely return.

The good news-bad news is that according to my LHS Rustoleum/Testors is
sending Dullcote the way of Floquil, Pactra, Testors and all the other
brands we had relied on. They seem to believe that anything a model
railroader needs can be bought in a large size spray can of Rustoleum L So
we won't have this probem much longer.

Regards,

Andy Miller