Duryea lengths (was "Running boards")

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Friends,

My 1958 ORER shows D&RGW Duryea-equipped boxcars in the 67500 and 68000 series as having a length of 42' 11". Compare this with WP non-Duryea boxcars in series 20201 with a length of 41' 9". The WP cars are typical AAR 10' 6" IH postwar boxcars of the 1945 design. The difference is 1' 2", meaning the Duryea underframe adds 7" to each end. No wonder the running boards appear longer! They are, and they have to be to meet the mandated specifications. I would expect other Duryea-equipped cars to have a similar 6-7" of additional length, though I'm not generally familiar with such cars on other roads.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff