Re: Painting HO Scale Brass

Armand Premo

Speaking of painting,does anyone know the color of the roof on the Erie's 95000 40' auto box cars? Armand Premo

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, June 08, 2014 11:46 AM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Painting HO Scale Brass

Paul,
Order your Scalecoat direct. http://www.weavermodels.com/index.html
Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com
On 6/8/2014 11:25 AM, 'Paul Hillman' chris_hillman@... [STMFC] wrote:

Thanks everybody for the wonderful in-depth info on painting brass. My main concern is adherence of the paint especially on handrails & corners of parts. Grit-blasting down to clean brass and/or etching with vinegar & salt (HCL) are the beginning. Baking is a necessity, I agree also.

It appears that Scalecoat I paint wins out as the preferred paint to use for brass. However I have a problem acquiring it. I'm north of Houston, TX, and Walthers says (and my local Hobby Shop) that Scalecoat can't be shipped to Texas due to some "specialized permit". (Maybe I could drive to a hobby shop in Louisiana or Oklahoma. That's only a few 100 miles !) Maybe it's even illegal to bring it across the state line?

Seems like all other hobby paints are available here. Since Scalecoat is enamel-based, what about the qualities of like Testors enamels? Or, some kind of acrylic that "shrinks" for good adherence?

I tried the vinegar & salt and it worked ! I didn't leave the parts in the mix too long, but the cleaning-etching was obviously working. When ready to do the final cleaning, will leave the brass in the mixture longer, watching for any bad-affects on the solder (maybe). It doesn't bring it down to a "shiny" brass color. The surface remains darker in areas due to surface oxides, or whatever, not "dirts" or oils. Will the proper paints adhere to these surface-oxides, or is grit-blasting best down to entirely clean brass?

I tried CLR cleaner and it seems to do about the same level of general cleaning as the vinegar & salt, but don't know about it's etching ability. It tends to leave a reddish color, due to the copper in the brass, I believe.

Paul Hillman

No virus found in this message.