Re: ERIE 95000 series roofs

Ed Hawkins

On Jun 8, 2014, at 11:27 PM, Tim O'Connor timboconnor@... [STMFC] wrote:

Ed, would the underframe parts be painted before, or after, the floor was installed?
I've seen photos of new cars with unpainted floor boards (underneath) but I don't know
if this was a universal practice.
Tim,
I don't recall paint specs in bills of materials providing a specific sequence in which the process was to be accomplished. There were a lot of variables depending on the customer's requirements and the builder. I doubt there's a universal method. However, if the top of the underframe was to be painted or coated with car cement as was often the case, it had to be done prior to installing a floor.

An example is PRR X43 box cars by Greenville Steel Co. that had black car cement applied only to the top of the center sill, cover plates, and stringers. The rest of the underframe received black paint after application of a metal preservative.

Based on what I've seen in bills of materials, most commonly the underframe was either painted with the same freight car paint that was used on the body or was coated entirely with black car cement. It seems most practical to me for this step to be done prior to installing a floor.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins