Re: A day late and a dollar short

Benjamin Hom

Bob Witt wrote:
"Yes, it is a Duryea underframe, but looking at the photo, I would agree with John that this is not a standard underframe as the outer two cross-bearers are much larger than the inner two and were not typical of those used on the many Duryea underframes under B&O box cars. The Duryea underframe for a 40-ft box car usually had four cross-bearers all of the same size."

I'll concede the first point, but the maddening thing about the Duryea cushion underframes is their variety.  I have doubts that there was any "standard" Duryea cushion underframe.

Ben Hom