Re: Tropicana in the 1950s

George Eichelberger

We need a Tropicana historian but I am quite sure there never were any ice refrigerators marked as Tropicana. The company started in the late 40s and was barely in the OJ business in the 50s. As late as 1960, they were using their own refrigerated ship to move OJ from Florida to NYC, not the rails. They started buying their own mechanical reefers in the early 1970s.

Tropicana Glass is next door to the juice plant in Bradenton. It was always worth stopping by there in the late 60s and 70s because the ACL had quite a few twin covered hoppers assigned to sand service to the facility. The sand did not tear the cars up so very good photos of ACL covered hoppers were possible for years after the SCL merger.