Re: Tropicana in the 1950s

George Eichelberger

During some period, the Florida OJ producers used classic “milk” cars (GPEX?) to ship unfrozen juice concentrate “up north”. Very unusual cars to see in Fla. Does anyone know when that traffic began or ended or where it originated? From a railroad guy, the destination may have been Hoods Dairy in the Boston area. I only saw the car at the ex ACL Lakeland, FL yard so I do not know who the shipper was. There were several juice processors in Central Fla at that time so I do not believe Tropicana ever used that method. The car was in freight, not in passenger express service.