Re: Tropicana in the 1950s

riverman_vt@...

      Respectfully, some of this makes sense and some of it does not, Bill. Why did orange juice concentrate

require refrigeration??? Ideally milk needs to be kept at 39 degrees, which had been achieved in milk tank cars

transported in both freight and passenger trains since the mid-1920's and without the use of refrigeration. Indeed, H.P. Hood was using some of its leased GPEX milk cars to move OJ concentrate from Dunedin, FL to Boston in the early 1970's, some four years after they stopped shipping any milk in some of the same cars.

I do not, however, know the date that Hood began shipping OJ concentrate in the GPEX cars, but this certainly makes me wonder why there was a need for Thermo-King units on cars used for that purpose after W.W. II. Was there a real need for such equipment or only a "perceived" need followed by a good snow, er "sales", job?

Cordially, Don Valentine