Re: Tropicana in the 1950s

Bruce Smith

Don,

As Bill has pointed out, the concentrate was frozen and thus needed to be kept frozen.  In addition, the length of the haul was significantly different.  Milk was typically only hauled for a few hours to reach a processing plant whereas Orange Juice would conceivably travel for several days, if shipped by train.

regards
Bruce

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Jun 20, 2014, at 6:10 AM, riverman_vt@... [STMFC] wrote:

      Respectfully, some of this makes sense and some of it does not, Bill. Why did orange juice concentrate

require refrigeration??? Ideally milk needs to be kept at 39 degrees, which had been achieved in milk tank cars

transported in both freight and passenger trains since the mid-1920's and without the use of refrigeration. Indeed, H.P. Hood was using some of its leased GPEX milk cars to move OJ concentrate from Dunedin, FL to Boston in the early 1970's, some four years after they stopped shipping any milk in some of the same cars.

I do not, however, know the date that Hood began shipping OJ concentrate in the GPEX cars, but this certainly makes me wonder why there was a need for Thermo-King units on cars used for that purpose after W.W. II. Was there a real need for such equipment or only a "perceived" need followed by a good snow, er "sales", job?