From: "Eric Lombard elombard@... [STMFC]"
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2014 11:54 AM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] NYC 710648

John, The ubiquitous Higgins boats were made by Higgins Industries in New Orleans during WWII. Here is a link to a short article in the local paper about it. Imagine running up on the beach at Normandy or Tarawa in one of these... made of plywood.

http://www.nola.com/175years/index.ssf/2011/11/1944_higgins_industries_in_new.html

Eric Lombard
Homewood, IL

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 11:35 AM, John Barry northbaylines@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Can any of you NYC guys help me with some modeling info for the NYC 710648?  I have it built in lot 702-G series 710000-710999 in 1941 and the builder's photo of the class unit from the CanadaSouthern website, along with a copy of the linked diagram.  All in all a great start to recreate this scene: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/fsa/item/oem2002005431/PP/resource/ , loading an LCM into the car at the Higgens Plant in New Orleans.  I see from the ORER that they were 70 ton cars, what kind of trucks?  Is there a commercial kit for this wood floored 52'6 gon?  The diagram and two photos give a good basis for scratching it if not, but if its been done. . .

John Barry

PS, did it have a class designation?  Not sure how that worked on the NYC.

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights

3450 Palmer Drive, Suite 4224
Cameron Park, CA 95682