Re: Tropicana in the 1950s

Bruce Smith

Mark,

Dang, maybe I'm getting old, but when I was growing up in upstate NY, we got our orange juice in a cardboard tube with metal ends, frozen solid, at the grocery store.  Thus, the frozen concentrate being shipped was not necessarily for repackaging, but for direct sales to consumers.  As with all frozen food, it has to remain frozen to maintain quality. And even if it was being repackaged, temperature excursions on a food product such as this both can damage the nutritional quality of the food (the big sell for the frozen food industry, which mushroomed post WWII, as did the need for frozen food reefers) and above freezing there is the chance for bacterial and or fungal growth.  Why don't you see that in today's "fresh" OJ?  Ahem, well, try fresh squeezing some OJ and leave it out .  The steam era's OJ was not packaged with the preservatives that today's foods are and thus more care was needed to preserve the food from spoilage.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Jun 20, 2014, at 2:43 PM, caboose9792@... [STMFC] wrote:

I agree Don,
There is no reason, if anything it defy's reason. Even if the OJ departs frozen it would have to be heated on arrival. Letting the load self cool for the 2-5 days in transit and arrive as a slushy liquid ready to be diluted and bottled.

Mark Rickert

In a message dated 6/20/2014 10:39:30 A.M. Central Daylight Time, STMFC@... writes:

   Respectfully, some of this makes sense and some of it does not, Bill. Why did orange juice concentrate

require refrigeration??? Ideally milk needs to be kept at 39 degrees, which had been achieved in milk tank cars

transported in both freight and passenger trains since the mid-1920's and without the use of refrigeration. Indeed, H.P. Hood was using some of its leased GPEX milk cars to move OJ concentrate from Dunedin, FL to Boston in the early 1970's, some four years after they stopped shipping any milk in some of the same cars.

I do not, however, know the date that Hood began shipping OJ concentrate in the GPEX cars, but this certainly makes me wonder why there was a need for Thermo-King units on cars used for that purpose after W.W. II. Was there a real need for such equipment or only a "perceived" need followed by a good snow, er "sales", job?

Cordially, Don Valentine