Re: more freight cars from the far past

John Larkin

They were used in timber bridges in North America, especially in holding timbers together, not for clamping rail to the bridge.  Also, I haven't seen them, but I have been told by MofW people that they were used on tight curves, especially on the gauge side of the outer rail, to help keep the rail from turning over under load.  The only other use I've seen is in the live steam hobby where I see 7.5" gauge tracks all over the place with them because of problems with spikes holding!  Very few of those use tie plates, making the spikes loosen up far too quickly and without the advantage of the plates helping hold rails in gauge!

John Larkin

On Thursday, June 26, 2014 10:03 AM, "riverman_vt@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Hi Dennis,

     Call them what you will, the y took me by surprise. I think of such things
as being largely European, much like what I see used in Russia or Ukraine
whenever Tanya and I go back to her home in Russia, which we have kept,
and what was seen last fall from Munich to Budapest, though rail clips seem
to be more common with concrete ties. Just how much use of these "screw
spikes" was made in North America? sort of reminds me of the Belfast &
Moosehead Lake in Maine which uses butt joints. That is joints side-by-side
in both rails rather than staggered.

Cordially, Don Valentine