Re: odd US military depressed center flat car

Charles Peck

I find the trucks interesting. Look like Buckeyes but with outboard bolster bearings for stability.
It's been a looooong time since I've been around one of those tanks but it does not look ready
for shipment. More like just a test loading.  I say this because of two things. The 50 cal. MG
mount on top should be stowed inside, not exposed. And the main gun is elevated, not down
on its travel rests.
And I wonder why this photo is evidently hosted on a Czechoslovakian website.
Chuck Peck

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 12:23 AM, Edwardsutorik@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Well, it's being odd to me, so I'm submitting it here for comments.  Here's a link:

http://en.valka.cz/files/tank_t43_zd_418.jpg

The reporting mark is "USA 499051".  The photo was most likely taken between 1953 and 1956.  The tank is a T43E1, later an M103.

I'm puzzled that it's not "USAX" instead of "USA".  And I'm puzzled that the car doesn't show up in the ORER, at least in 1950 and 1956.  Interestingly, the car number is quite similar to the NYC series for flats.

So, what is it?  And does it have any siblings?

Any and all assistance will be appreciated,

Ed

Edward Sutorik