To: STMFC
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2014 5:12 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Empty/load sensor for braking

I’m reading a technical article describing the problems inherent to the different air pressure needs of brake equipment on empty vs. loaded cars and the described solution is a slightly larger auxiliary reservoir, a small reservoir attached to  the brake cylinder, and a simple load/empty valve whose position is determined by how far down the truck springs are compressed.

The explanation for the different needs of loaded vs. empty cars and how the problem was solved are clear enough by it doesn’t say when the idea was adopted by railroads.  I’m wondering if this is a modern solution or something that was rolled out and used in the steam era.

The explanation is here: << http://www.alkrug.vcn.com/rrfacts/brakes.htm>> and may be found about 60% of the way down the page.

Anyone know when this became the norm?