Re: NYC boxcar 163277

Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor wrote:

Tony's comment inspired me to do some digging...

Technically, Standard Railway Equipment become a SUBSIDIARY of Stanray Corporation, and both names appear together in the 1961 Car Builder Cyclopedia. So we probably should not refer to the railroad products as "Stanray" regardless of the era -- SRE or SRECO is more precise. Seems to me I've seen "SRE" used before.

      I first realized the timing on the Stanray change when I was systematically going through all issues of Railway Age, over 25 years ago when researching for the PFE book. The Stanray ads in the magazine suddenly appeared in about 1961. Previously the term had never surfaced in their ads. I later saw a 1961 Cyc, as Tim describes.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history