Re: SRE

water.kresse@...

Was Peter Murphy and possibly his son still involved?  Were their large stampings (first Murphy then Dreadnaught, etc. trademarked) still produced at Hobart, Indiana, just south of US Steel's Gary Works in 1961?  Or, am I mixing up the chief characters?
Al Kresse

From: "Steam Era Frt Car Group"
To: "Steam Era Frt Car Group"
Sent: Saturday, July 12, 2014 1:28:11 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] NYC boxcar 163277

Tim O'Connor wrote:

Tony's comment inspired me to do some digging...

Technically, Standard Railway Equipment become a SUBSIDIARY of Stanray Corporation, and both names appear together in the 1961 Car Builder Cyclopedia. So we probably should not refer to the railroad products as "Stanray" regardless of the era -- SRE or SRECO is more precise. Seems to me I've seen "SRE" used before.

      I first realized the timing on the Stanray change when I was systematically going through all issues of Railway Age, over 25 years ago when researching for the PFE book. The Stanray ads in the magazine suddenly appeared in about 1961. Previously the term had never surfaced in their ads. I later saw a 1961 Cyc, as Tim describes.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history