Re: Seley Hopper ca. 1944

Ray Breyer

Ray,
Based upon my research from other B&O documents listing their rosters the series:
"Sandy Creek Coal Co. 131700-131799, Baltimore Steel Car & Foundry 1907, HG copies, to B&O, 1907-1908."
The coal company should be the Sunday Creek Coal Co.
See "Fifty Years of B&O Rosters" a B&OHS reprint. The information in Daniels Summaries of the B&O S of E and ORER states "Sy. Ck."
I can send you a scan of the page if you provide your email.
Regards,
Bob Witt

Hi Bob,

I used several sources when tabulating my Seley hopper roster, but the only original source B&O information I have is the B&O's car diagram page for the N-11 class hoppers. It says that cars 130020-131699 were originally "Fairmount Coal Co. 3000-3499", and cars 131700-131799 were "Sandy Creek Coal Co. 131700-131799".

That said, "Fairmount" is 100% wrong, based on a photo I have of the cars. The company name really WAS "Fairmont". So it's entirely possible that the other coal company is ALSO spelled incorrectly on the B&O sheet.

So I'd love to have a copy of what you have, especially if it's original source material. My email address is below. Thanks for the offer!

Regards,
Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL
rtbsvrr69@...