Re: PAINT MIX

Armand Premo

Gentlemen both,Weathering is a complex issue.Many colors fade and not just darken.Armand Premo

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2014 6:38 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: PAINT MIX

Mike Brock wrote:

> Anyhow, believing that 99% of frt cars operating on our layouts should be weathered and, following Richard's lead, given that the time is between 1900 and 1960, the cars should be rather heavily weathered. Given that, and suggesting that those nay sayers review the photo on the cover of the May 1992 MM, I would suggest that the paint's apparent color covered with various amounts of coal smoke, oil smoke, acid rain, non acid rain, and any of about 53 other types of grime, will vary...even on the same car. IOW, why worry about an exact match when, after matching, you then slop various weathering paints or chalks on the poor car which then kind of blends the whole mess together.

You are right, Mike, that Richard would have agreed with most of what you say, and so do I. But. But, the starting color DOES matter, since color photos from the transition era DO show that adjoining freight cars exhibit varying shades of BCR, notably some you may know yourself, like UP, with a much more orange "Oxide Red" color. So yes, weathering mutes and conceals SOME of the differences in car color, but by no means all. I believe it is still worth shooting for a good starting point, even if I find obsession with prototype paint chips to be, in most cases, a "bridge too far" for me. Still, I do want to start in the right ballpark.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

No virus found in this message.