Re: L&N 36ft double seathed boxcars pulled by oxen

Charles Hladik

    This very well could have occurred but I se no yokes or and kind of harness on the oxen.
Chuck Hladik

In a message dated 7/23/2014 9:27:36 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, STMFC@... writes:

In reference to the photo at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321469149054

It is certainly possible that the oxen are being used as a car puller.  They would most likely pull from one corner and that would be the closest to the camera, thus any connection between the hitch of oxen and the car would be hidden.  Additionally, the oxen may well be standing there in between pulling cars.  It does make sense that hitches such as this would be used to move cars in the days before electric car winches.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Jul 23, 2014, at 8:18 AM, Peter Burr pburr47@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

It looks like the oxen are pulling some kind of sled (if anything), not the boxcar. I don't really see any traces or other harness, but they are all lined up as if in harness. Nice postcard :-)

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by: Peter Burr <pburr47@...>