Re: Intermountain Kits-sporadic availability

Armand Premo

Fenton,Been there,done that.I will just have to stick to resin kits and forget about both Intermountain and Red Caboose.Tru Color is basiclly the old  Accupaint.I too have had mixed results with Acrylic paints.Armand Premo

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, August 02, 2014 12:46 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: Intermountain Kits-sporadic availability

I'm a lacquer or enamel user, that is for air brushing.  I've tried the water based paints and I will brush them but I haven't liked the results from spraying them.  Mostly Scale Coat II now but I have managed to squirrel away lots of Floquil.  I'll probably have some when they take me to the nursing home.
I agree on the decals.  What I have found however is that if you can do the research, lettering diagrams, copies of the art work from the RR files and photos some of the decal companies will work these for you.  Being a SR fan Hubert Mask at Mask Island has been very easy to work with and has done several of 1930's - 1950's SR decals that are very nice and weren't available before.  So get the info, photos and find a decal printer who will work with you, you may be surprised.
Good Luck
Fenton

On Sat, Aug 2, 2014 at 12:33 PM, 'A Premo' armprem2@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

That sounds great Fenton until you start looking for specific decals.You may have to rely on custom made (and I have done that ).Now, what do you use for paint,and matching paint? Armand Premo
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, August 02, 2014 11:41 AM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: Intermountain Kits-sporadic availability

I believe if you check Herald King you will find they are still in business although under new owners.  I recently purchased some decals from them and they were fine.  Most of their decals are from a later time period than I model but not all.  Check them out.
Fenton Wells

On Sat, Aug 2, 2014 at 7:44 AM, haagtk@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

I am not sure why you would make such a blanket statement like that when there are lots of decals still out there.  I would even say that the there are more accurate sets available than at any other time.  Sure Walthers, Champ, and Herald King no longer offer decals but many of these sets were inaccurate or came with generic data.  

There are a lot more smaller companies or individuals selling many more accurate sets.  

Staying on the Intermountain undec theme I have finished the following cars starting with the Intermountain undec 1958 cuft covered hopper car.  While most are too modern for this list it still shows the variety of decals still available:

DT&I - MG Decals
EL- Prime Mover Decals
CofG - Mask Island
ICG - Kohlberg 

-Tom Haag

--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-1144
srrfan1401@...

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2014.0.4592 / Virus Database: 3986/7964 - Release Date: 08/01/14

--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-1144
srrfan1401@...

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2014.0.4592 / Virus Database: 3986/7964 - Release Date: 08/01/14

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.