Re: {Disarmed} Re: Car sounds

Jeff Shultz <jeff@...>

In cars. You do need to provide some way of passing power (w/DCC signals) from the track to the decoder. The example SoundTraxx had at the National Train Show had a couple of spread out Kadee #5 centering springs glued to the top of the truck as pickup wipers.

Joe Fugate noticed that and remarked that he'd bought a sheet of phosphor bronze from somewhere, inexpensively, that he cut strips out of when he needed wipers for something.

On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 4:04 AM, asychis@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Where do you mount these decoders? In cars? In locos? Under the layout?

Jared Harper
Athens, GA
Jared, it depends on the use.  If you take a look at the Soundtraxx "Sound Car" flyer, it lists all the sounds.  Most it seems would be mounted in rolling stock (flat spots, brake squeal, clickity-clack, generator).  The decoder also has two lights and two hyper-effect leads, so I can see it mounted in a caboose with say brake squeal and lights for the conductor's desk and marker lights (most likely fed into fiber optics). Lighted passenger cars with generator sounds would be a good use too.

I don't know if they could be mounted stationary, but some sounds would lend themselves to it, especially flange squeal, which you would want from the whole train, not an individual car.

Jerry Michels

believed to be clean.

--
Jeff Shultz
Error: Pithy Saying Generator not installed