From: Tom Baker bakert@... [STMFC]
To: STMFC
Sent: Fri, Aug 8, 2014 12:30 pm
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Demise of RMC?

Tim and Dave,

Well, you are certainly right about change in delivery of information
media, but it does seem to me that fewer of us are out there in all
scales. I know of three railroad historical societies--and there may be
others I don't know of--that have gone to the E-zine format, a very good
idea, I think. I also know of several societies that have experienced a
drop in membership due to the passing of their members.

Then there is an interesting shift among occurring among the hi-rail
crowd, a push toward greater prototype accuracy. I am no hi-railer, but
I will have to admit that even the 3-rail manufacturers have produced
some great looking prototype locomotives. Problem is these guys still
are not at the level of accuracy we scalers want, and that is true
especially with the freight cars that come off the line: They're better
than those truncated things, the 6464-series box cars for example, but
have a long way to go before the product would satisfy us even if we
were in O gauge.

Another issue is that fewer and fewer scale modelers are building cars.
My HO modeling friend surmises that many of those Sunshine kits sit on
modelers shelves in the basement, attic, or garage and there they stay.
He is probably right.
> Tom
>
> I don't think it is demographics at all -- In the 1960's when I was a
> teenager, my Dad got Trains, Model Railroader and RMC. And there were a
> few hundred published books, with some prototype railroads having 15 or
> even 20 titles! My Dad had maybe 30 or 40 books including Car Builder Cycs.
>
> By the 1990's we also had Mainline Modeler, Model Railroading, and Railmodel
> Journal. And new publishers cranking out new books every week. Usually more
> than several every week. Heck we're up to issue #28 of the RP Cyclopedia!
>
> Now we have modeling ezines from historical societies, more books than ever,
> and tens of thousands of blogs, web sites, photo sites, archival sites, etc.
> People have collections of hundreds of books and special publications.
>
> I subscribe to RMC and I enjoy the magazine but really, in this hurricane
> of railroad and modeling information that we live in, will we really feel
> at all deprived without it? Some months I have no time to read even one
> article.
>
> It's not demographics -- it's information overload!
>
> Tim O'Connor
>

>> Although I had no idea of failed payments to authors and photographers,
>> I have wondered what is happening at RMC. First we lose Mainline Modeler
>> and now maybe RMC. I haven't figured out what exactly causes the muted
>> draw Model Railroader has for me, but its draw is definitely muted. The
>> series of articles by Ted Culotta and Clark Probst were really a big
>> draw for me, and I don't even model in HO, but in S. I saw the material
>> on S in the June issue a bit in the way of filler but still helpful. I
>> hope we do not lose RMC, but I cannot halt the forward and inexorable
>> march of demographics.
>>
>> Tom Baker

> Posted by: Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>

> Yahoo Groups Links