Re: Steamtown image

John Grube

Hi John,I also have never seen anything quite like this. It looks like some type of device to lock the operating lever whenever there is something on the tracks approaching the points. The thin bar you mention appears to be riding on a series of pivot supports. When pushed down by the weight of a train, the bar would pivot laterally, and the rod from that bar is connected to the mechanism leading to the switch.Clear as mud, I know. But that would be a fairly positive method of preventing the switch from being thrown under a train in the "good old days".John Grube