Re: Steamtown image

John Larkin

    Thanks, guys, for the info, but I still have a question.  The points are just starting to appear in the bottom of the pix and the linkage for those I would suspect is just at the very bottom of the pix or just out of sight.  After looking at the pix again it dawned on me that what we might be looking at is a wheel guard that would raise when the point is thrown to guide car wheels toward the center of the track, relieving any tendency to pick the points.  It looks like there is a flat plate aligned with the rail and that the mechanism is a series of pivots that raise the plate on the outside of the rail.  I've seen a very few of these installed in fixed installations but never in an interlocking.
     The question I have on it being a type of locking device is that the car weights would vary and there would normally not be a lot of movement up and down in a well-ballasted and tamped section of track.  There is what looks like a pivot in the closer views that would allow the bar to move up - they are fairly flat in this view which would indicate that they might be able to move up but not much room for downward movement.
     I can see the point of keeping a switch from being thrown under a train but I'm still a bit confused as to how that might work from what I can see in the pix.  Interesting, let's get the photographer to take a sideways view of the installation, and maybe a video while he's at it:)

John

On Thursday, August 14, 2014 10:34 AM, "'Bruce F. Smith' smithbf@... [STMFC]" wrote:

John,
It is the linkage to move the points

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL

On Aug 14, 2014, at 10:24 AM, John Larkin jflarkingrc@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but on the outside of the left rail in the track centered in the picture is what looks to be some type of rail brace controlled by an Armstrong lever.  There are a series of what look to be supports with a thin bar between them and the rail.  I've never seen anything like this in years of looking at track and I'm still not sure if I've described it right or can see it clearly enough to describe it.  Any informed thoughts on this detail?

John Larkin