Re: Steamtown image

John Larkin

Makes very good sense when the word "detector" bar hit my brain.  Ingenious device, and when I heard this context and looked at the pix again it finally sunk in.  By the way, "Armstrong" was a term I first heard in LA at the joint tower down there whose name I can almost think of, H something.  The older towerman referred to it as such, way back in the 70's when I was in UP's operating department and worked for the Division Superintendent.  I was playing semi-hooky on one of the few clear days we had in LA back then and diverted to see the tower after our dispatcher had yelled one night at the tower operator.  I had to go to Long Beach to check out some track configurations that were being discussed and spent about an hour up there.  Fun time, very educational, and it certainly helped me learn more about the ins and outs of the LA area.  I also have heard the terms "interlocking" and "interlocking plant" used by prototype railroaders.  Now, since more than a few prototype railroaders are also "railfans" or "model railroaders" or both, did they bring the term with them from listening to their peers in the hobby side of things?  More than a few railroad words seem to be in that realm - try listening to MofW, Operations and operating personnel tell you what that funny piece of track that allows trains to go from one track to another is sometime - especially if you're in different regions of the country....

John Larkin