Re: Lights out at the "Pub"

Tony Thompson

      As I said to FHenry Carstens on more than one occasion, the author payment issue need not be an issue. Either decide you cannot afford to pay authors, and make that announcement -- then people know where they stand when deciding to submit or not -- OR announce that you pay for articles, and then DO SO. To pretend you will pay, and then not pay, is dishonest and sends a very bad message about the magazine.
       Speaking for myself, I have happily submitted articles to the magazine of my historical society (SPH&TS) with full knowledge that there was no payment. That was fine. But when Henry stiffed me on articles already published, I said "no more."

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history