Weathering was Fwd: Lights out at the "Pub"

Craig Zeni

On Aug 23, 2014, at 1:21 PM, STMFC@yahoogroups.com wrote:

1.9. Re: Fwd: Lights out at the "Pub"
Posted by: "Tony Thompson" tony@signaturepress.com sigpress
Date: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:21 am ((PDT))

Tim O'Connor wrote:

lol -- yeah, "weathering" these days seems to be synomymous with "incredibly
rusted and filthy". If you model any era before the year 1990, you might want
to lighten up on the filth! :-)

It's funny how rarely people model SHINY BRAND NEW freight cars . . .

Tim, you forget how dirty freight cars often were in the steam era. Look at photos from before 1950 to refresh your memory. And I have possession of photos taken in those days within a month or two of the manufacture of a particular freight car, and there is a definite haze of dirt and dust already. I would say any transition era layout had better NOT have more than one SHINY NEW car.
Tony, that dirtiness was an appreciation that I took away from the clinics that you and Richard did at Cocoa. And from that I adopted your acrylic wash methods and added to them with Bragdon powders and Prismacolor pencils and create grimy dirty cars. Three years ago at Cocoa people were asking why I didn't weather my models - I didn't know how or rather couldn't do it as I could not get past my fear of ruining a model. I went to your clinic; two years ago one of the same guys who asked my why I didn't weather was asking me how I did it :) So thanks!

But what I've noted is that while steam era cars were filthy, they weren't necessarily rusted crusty scabby messes on wheels the way modern weathered cars seem to be with sheets of paint replaced by rust and sides covered in graffito. At the St Louis RPM meet were the guys who do the modern cars and do a superb job of replicating that on models. But that look I don't think is appropriate for steam era equipment; not the giant scabs of rust and certainly not the graffito.

Craig Zeni
Sent from my soup can with the string pulled really tight.