Re: Lights out at the "Pub"

Andy Harman

It's hard to believe but I think it has been a decade and a half since I read the first rant from a magazine editor warning of the evils of "the internet". IRRC that was the first magazine to pull the plug.

I wrote a rebuttal back then... it's all old news but it was clear to me that even 15 years ago, the printed magazines were scrambling to hold on to their relevancy, and apparently that included discrediting other sources of information.

Which is pretty fascinating - as recently as 2014, a major manufacturer put out a product based on mediocre drawings published more than 35 years ago - the third manufacturer to do so - when this particular item is so well documented you could probably find out the wire gauge and tension force of the toilet paper holder retainer spring.

I think before the mid 1990s, the hobby press enjoyed an elite status. Once published, it had to be true. Corrections never received the hype of the original cover story, nor would anyone have paid attention even if they did. Once the barn doors were open, and the e-waves filled up with the unwashed masses rubbing elbows with the same elitists that wrote the articles, came the realization that everyone is human, and anyone can make mistakes. And that the best way to get at the truth is to sift through it all, and never limit your fact finding to a single anointed source.

I've enjoyed all the magazines over the years. I grew up with them, and often late at night my dreams were fueled by articles published before I was born, from my dad's stack of musty old issues of MR, RMC and Model Trains (remember them?). But in terms of prototype modeling there's no putting the genie back in the bottle and I wouldn't even if I could. I really don't know where paper press is headed, and it's not my problem to solve. Personally, I prefer paper. While I like the concept of MRH and acknowledge its growth guess what... I don't read it! In fact, I rarely read anything on line that is more than a page. I don't own a kindle or anything like it either. I still was buying hobby magazines right up until their last day.

Andy