Re: Lights out at the "Pub"

Charles Hladik

    It's also a lot easier to have that paper copy at the workbench while building that steam era freight car.
Chuck Hladik

In a message dated 8/25/2014 10:21:05 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, STMFC@... writes:

It's hard to believe but I think it has been a decade and a half since I
read the first rant from a magazine editor warning of the evils of "the
internet". IRRC that was the first magazine to pull the plug.

I wrote a rebuttal back then... it's all old news but it was clear to me
that even 15 years ago, the printed magazines were scrambling to hold on to
their relevancy, and apparently that included discrediting other sources of
information.

Which is pretty fascinating - as recently as 2014, a major manufacturer put
out a product based on mediocre drawings published more than 35 years ago -
the third manufacturer to do so - when this particular item is so well
documented you could probably find out the wire gauge and tension force of
the toilet paper holder retainer spring.

I think before the mid 1990s, the hobby press enjoyed an elite
status. Once published, it had to be true. Corrections never received the
hype of the original cover story, nor would anyone have paid attention even
if they did. Once the barn doors were open, and the e-waves filled up with
the unwashed masses rubbing elbows with the same elitists that wrote the
articles, came the realization that everyone is human, and anyone can make
mistakes. And that the best way to get at the truth is to sift through it
all, and never limit your fact finding to a single anointed source.

I've enjoyed all the magazines over the years. I grew up with them, and
often late at night my dreams were fueled by articles published before I
was born, from my dad's stack of musty old issues of MR, RMC and Model
Trains (remember them?). But in terms of prototype modeling there's no
putting the genie back in the bottle and I wouldn't even if I could. I
really don't know where paper press is headed, and it's not my problem to
solve. Personally, I prefer paper. While I like the concept of MRH and
acknowledge its growth guess what... I don't read it! In fact, I rarely
read anything on line that is more than a page. I don't own a kindle or
anything like it either. I still was buying hobby magazines right up until
their last day.

Andy