Re: Tahoe trucks w/ semiscale wheels

Tim O'Connor

Arved

Yeah the Kadee mount is incompatible with many brands of freight car,
and can be annoying to install. But out of the box the Kadee is better
than the Kato, IMO. I bought a bunch of Reboxx 0.950 wheelsets as
replacements for the awful Kato wheelsets and these perform well --
But I think Kato + Reboxx costs more than Kadee. Tangent also makes
some very good trucks now, but I'm pretty sure the Kadee and Kato are
the only choices for a 50 ton ASF A-3.

Tim O'Connor

So the Kadee #1562 ASF Ride Control Truck (http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/page1562.htm) would be a better choice than the Kato?

I bought my first pair, but I was very close to buying the Kato trucks. I'm trying to make heads or tails about how the truck should be mounted. Looks like shaving the bolster pin and just screwing the truck in with it's centering device, but I still have to see how the bolster height is effected. Unfortunately, there's no documentation included with the trucks, but I was pleasantly surprised to find solid springs, It still twists for equilization. If anyone thinks I'm mounting them wrong, please let me know.

The Accurail underframe this first pair of trucks will be mated to is currently in the mini-mill to have it's coupler pocket milled off. A Sergent Narrow Shank coupler with Accu-mate scale draft gear box will be fitted. It's going to be a few days at least before I find out for myself how trucks work out.

To the best of my knowledge, Tahoe Model Works doesn't offer 50T ASF Ride Control Trucks. Otherwise, I'd have bought a pair from them.

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, Florida