Re: Tahoe trucks w/ semiscale wheels

Mikebrock

mark rickert writes:

"So when can we expect to see dcc brakes to offset the free rolling trucks?"

I'm not completely sure what Mark refers to but if it is the fact that cars have their own brake system, I'll relate the following:

A few years ago while waiting to shoot video of ex N&W J 611 as it proceeded EB from the Black Mtn area of North Carolina, a NS frt went by EB on the upgrade [ about 1.2% ]. Soon we
got the word that the frt had broken in two and there would be some delay.
Now, on my layout, the offending cars would come rushing down grade, messing
everything up....including [gasp ] me. Fortunately, in this case, the
offending cars stopped themselves, the train was put back together and it
proceeded to the east. Soon, the J came by, producing perhaps my favorite
video. Oh, it looked to me as though the couplers were Sergents indicating it was not a #5 / #58 compatibility problem.

Hmmm. I suppose one could power up a frt car truck, put a decoder inside a box car and simulate a break in two. Probably not.

BTW, I don't recall anyone commenting on free rolling trucks and hump yards.

Mike Brock