Re: 40 foot Double door boxcars from Canada

Ian Cranstone

There are some photos of the CN cars on my website (see below, then navigate to the appropriate page), I have photos of some CP cars, but they're not on the website yet.

Aside from the Funaro kits for CV/GTW cars, which I believe are of the 583xxx series, I don't think there are any kits available. The CN 587000-587399 were fairly conventional 40' boxcars when built, but in 1946 CN opted to increase inside height from 10' to 10'6".  This left them rather unconventional (you'll find photos of both groups, pre- and post-rebuilding at www.nakina.net/cn/cn5.html).  Some years ago, Brian Pate wrote an article on modelling one of these cars, published in Canadian Railway Modeller.

Ian Cranstone

Osgoode, Ontario, Canada

lamontc@...

http://freightcars.nakina.net

On 2014-09-13, at 11:01 AM, srrfan1401@... [STMFC] wrote:

I need some help.  I want to do some Canadian boxcars. I have info and photos of the 40 foot single door cars.  I would like to do at least one 40 ft Double door car.  Does anyone have photos of and information on CNR cars in the 573xxx and 587xxx series, or the CPR 296xxx to 299xxx series or the GTW 583xxx and or 585xxx series.  

I model 1953 and would love to have a photo, a diagram and enough info on roofs, doors, ends, trucks and side panel configuration to do a "close enough" bash for one of these cars.

Thanking anyone in advance for help with this.

Questions regarding this can be sent off list if desired so we don't drag non interested parties into and unwanted conversation

Fenton Wells

srrfan1401@...

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.