I just received from Shapeways a Southern Railway patterned steam loco cab designed by Ken Rickman to replace the HO scale MDC cab. It was intentionally designed without rivets, roof hatches, or other fine detail, but it looks terrific as a starting point. Rick designed with window inserts on spruce inside cab.

My point is trial and error will teach us how to design and execute 3D printed parts, no matter the source.  I'm curious as to whether the drawing that "failed" had the car side vertical or lying flat? Printers, like computers take instruction literally. Could you rotate drawing 90 degrees?

Dave

On Sep 13, 2014, at 1:09 PM, "Robert rdkirkham@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

On the other hand . . . at least I received a follow up e-mail from Shapeways on my latest venture asking me to complete a survey.  When I scored them a very kind hearted 4/10, they asked why and asked for photos.  Maybe some light at the end of  . . . well, I’m not sure this very dark place is a tunnel yet.

What I am finding is they can be used for right sizing and developing fit on parts I will later print elsewhere.   So far the dimensions as printed are very very close to as drawn.  So I adapt what I use Shapeways for.  On a small street car model for BCER (clerestory roof) I did a very simplified roof design which will facilitate hand finishing.   I hope that will work well enough (should be here soon).

Rob Kirkham

Sent: Friday, September 12, 2014 9:20 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Reality check (Was: 3D Printers at Des Plaines Hobbies)

Bruce wrote:

"If I read the specs correctly, this gives exactly the same level of detail as Shapeways FUD.  Both list the finest detail at 100 microns or 0.1mm.  That said, it is still pretty cool that you can get this for that price and of course, unlike Shapeways, you control the direction of build, which is a critical parameter."

This is a fused deposition machine. According to the specs the plastic filament used as build material is 1.75mm (nominally 0.070") diameter. The heated nozzle through which the filament is extruded is 0.4mm (nominally 0.016", or roughly 1.4" in HO). That is your "pixel" size for this particular printer, and you can't build a feature by stacking single "pixels" on top of each other.  Also from the specs, the 100 micron figure is the minimum (in this case, that means best) "layer resolution", which I assume means minimum layer thickness, not the minimum resolvable feature size. Shapeways doesn't quote layer thickness, but I believe their FUD process uses 29 micron layers. FWIW, the printers they use for FUD are capable of 16 micron layers.

My latest Shapeways adventure ended yesterday, badly. They can now do 11.3" long parts with FUD, vs. 7" previously. I sent them files for two HO Pullman sides (sans doors), which were 10.3" x 1" x 0.090". Surely they wouldn't build those standing on edge??? Surely, they did.......

Tom Madden