From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...]
Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2014 6:50 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Loading large ship propellers on rail cars

Paul,

You would be more correct to call the load a “ship’s screw” than propellor.

There is a nice online article on building such a load for a PRR flat car, including a prototype load photo at

http://us-modelsof1900.de/?p=943

The prototype photo is actually from Life Magazine and can be found at:

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/cruisers-propeller-arriving-on-flat-car-at-brooklyn-navy-news-photo/50458406

You might need to run it through a translator, depending on how good your german is (ein bier bitte is about the extend of mine )

I have the complete 1934 Rules for Loading Open Top Cars from the ARA and no mention of ships screws or propellors in that.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Sep 12, 2014, at 11:13 AM, koehlers@... [STMFC] wrote:

Does anyone have a copy of the AAR loading rules for "Large ship Propellers".  I would like to make a propeller load on a depressed or well flatcar.  Any help out there?  Thanks

Paul C. Koehler