Re: tank car pressure testing

Dave Parker

Tom:

I really appreciate your offer.  I am sure the 1930 regs will be perfect for my needs.

Thus far, my modeling interests only include ARA Spec III/ICC Class 103 and ARA Spec IV/ICC 104 (insulated) tank cars.

Based on several trade publications from the early 1920s concerning refineries in New England, I would say that the relevant commodities of the era included gasoline, kerosene, naptha, fuel/bunker oil, "gas oil", lubricating oils, paving materials (asphalt), and paraffin wax.

I have replied to the group in case others are interested, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks!

Dave Parker

On Saturday, October 25, 2014 5:14 PM, "'Tom Birkett' tnbirke@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Dave

Today I received a copy of the 1930 edition of ”Regulations for the transportation by rail of explosives and other dangerous articles…” It didn’t change much for many years.

I can interpret the retesting schedule for you, but I need to know the tank car class and products if possible. I used to do this kind of work for Phillips Petroleum so I can get you where you need to be.

The only thing I haven’t found is the retest table for steam coils but it is probably here. When I was still working the coils were tested on the same schedule as the tank.

And maybe the proper thing to do is summarize all the retest data in a spread sheet and request help in posting it.

Tom Birkett
Bartlesville, OK