From: 'Schuyler Larrabee' schuyler.larrabee@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...>
To: STMFC
Sent: Sun, Oct 26, 2014 11:04 am
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Calipers & Micrometers

I have had a Helos non-digital dial micrometer since . . . about 1979 or so, and have never been able to use a “scale rule” with anything like the same accuracy.  “Scale rules”  are usually truly crudely made compared to the architects scales I’ve use in my work life.  Thick, with very wide markings leading to parallax errors.  The “inch” markings are a half inch wide.  Incidentally, I acquired my calipers with the help of a machinist, who had several delivered to his shop.  He and his staff compared them, and he said the one I have was the “closest to being accurate.”  Does that matter?  I don’t much think so, as long as you’re using the same one for all your work.  It’s not like our models are done by sharing them and people using different measuring tools.

Years ago, the Kadee paper catalog had a conversion chart on the back showing the decimal equivalents for full-size measurements.  I scanned it and could provide it to anyone interested.  It’s a .tiff file at the moment but I think I can convert that to a jpg or pdf.

Schuyler