Re: Red Swift reefers

Steve and Barb Hile

On the other hand, there is a lot of box car red on the hatch covers, inside and out, as well as the running boards.

Some of those roofs are kinda like zebras.  Are they black with white stripes or white with black.  (Hint:  check the nose.)

Steve Hile

Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2014 12:24 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Re: Red Swift reefers

Oh where is Richard Hendrickson when we need him? Fortunately he still lives within my computer.

On Jan 22, 2014, Pierre Oliver asking about Swift’s 40’ steel reefer: Can someone tell what color the roof should be on this horizontal seamed steel reefer? Black or red?

And Richard responded: Mineral red, Pierre (not the same red as the sides and ends).  I have photo documentation I’ll send you off-list.

That answers the question about the 40’ horizontal seamed steel reefers. May not answer the question about Swift’s 36’ wood reefers. I agree with Mike (who wouldn’t after all, he has the keys to moderator jail) photo’s in Gene’s book do appear to show black roofs on some Swift reefers. While that could be soot from steam engines, it could also be faded black paint as it looks uniform across the entire roof, except where boards have been replaced. Is it possible that Swift painted some reefers with black roofs, then switched to the mineral red with later reefers? Pierre what documentation did Richard send you?

Fortunately I do not have any Swift reefers waiting on the work bench for the definitive answer, but I am of course curious.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.