From:"'Charlie Morrill' badlands@... [STMFC]"
Date:Sat, Nov 1, 2014 at 11:01 am
Subject:Re: [STMFC] 3 grab irons on the left side of a work train UP box

That appears to be a UP caboose converted from a boxcar.  The SP had a large number of very similar boxcar cabooses.
Charlie

Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2014 10:25 AM
To: stmfc

What is the utility of a 3rd grab iron on the left side of this UP boxcar now in work service?  It appears to have a steel strap up the side of the body where the right side of the grab irons are fastened.  Was this type of strap used frequently on these boxcars when in regular service?  Which class of UP boxcars, I can’t find a similar one in my reference material.  TIA

gary laakso
south of Mike Brock