Accurail 4211 Erie SS boxcar w wood door

A&Y Dave in MD

I bought a set of Accurail HO scale wooden box car kits at $3 each to practice weathering on wooden boxcars, SS and DS, before I tackle my resin kits. But if I'm going to the trouble of putting these together and weather them, I'd like to know if I can make them match anything reasonably well and with what level of effort.

The first one is an Erie car with road number is 92514 and according to the data on the side, it was a 50 ton car built in 1923. It is Accurail's single sheathed 40' boxcar kit with wood door and 7-7 corrugated steel ends. (I didn't see the 4200 series listed in the Accurail catalog on their web site, but the 4100 and 4300 series showed Erie-lettered offerings).

My 1926 ORER on DVD does list 199 Erie cars in the 92500-92699 series of 50 ton capacity, interior dimensions of L 40'9" x W 8'6" and H 9'2 1/8" for 3098 cu ft capacity, and a 6' door. It also states in footnote BB that some cars in this series were lettered for the New Jersey & New York Railroad. I'm not an Erie modeler or historian, so I haven't seen a photo of such a car, and I'm not even sure the Accurail model is anything other than roughly analogous to a prototype for this or any other railroad.

I haven't even removed the clear plastic wrap from this box. I did a search of this group's archives on terms like Erie SS box and Accurail O.B. Box (how it's labeled), and didn't turn up a description or discussion of the Accurail SS 40' box car model and what it might be good for, if anything. I have a couple with different lettering and variations e.g., steel door with corrugations (is that supposed to be a Youngstown 6' door?). So any info on the model and/or the prototype would be welcome.

Should I just assemble as is, play with weathering, and offer them at the next white elephant? Or is this car close enough in dimensions and details to something real to bother replacing molded grabs/stirrups with wire and potentially keeping it for the fleet? I'm willing to find decals if stripping and re-lettering might make it a decent model.

I know I should just play with weathering and be done with it, but I get distracted easily with "projects" for fun. I kit-bashed a cheap (Tyco?) 4 wheel bobber caboose to make it match a Southern Railway prototype photo (including relocating windows, shaving off molded grabs and replacing, modifying the smoke jack, adding glass windows, adding Kadee's and metal wheel sets) years ago because I wanted to see if I could do it. It's now re-numbered X-25 with an HO scale Santa for a club Christmas train, but it was a very reasonable model of a Southern bobber from turn of the 20th century when I was done. So any help indulging my tendency to play, but also to represent prototypical models, would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave