Sent: Monday, November 10, 2014 4:20 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] X29 car owners

Are you guys saying that all of the below owners had box cars built to the PRR X29 designs of 1924 or 1928?
Or are you lumping the 1923 ARA design with the X29, because they look so much alike?

Red Caboose made 3 original carbodies for those 3 versions, plus one version with dreadnaught ends. And
I think they released either the 1924 or 1928 body with side sill patches, although all 3 prototype designs had
the same flaw (wet wood/metal corrosion)

Tim O'Connor

RDG certainly did not have any "X29" type cars. Theirs, like NYC, were derivative of the USRA design. The rivet pattern on the side sill is different and indicates a USRA type underframe. Confusion is understandable, as I believe some people associate flat ends with the "X29". However, not all cars with flat ends are "X29" type, and not all "X29" types have flat ends.

Eric N.

No Rock Island, but, besides PRR, NYC, B&O, and W&LE, also RDG, LNE, and CNJ.