Re: Construction Lines

Tony Thompson

The car I started with was a 10-panel welded side car. The 1948 built PS-1s for Rock Island were 12 panel riveted side cars. I smoothed out the weld beads, and I have Archer Transfers for panel lines and rivets.

How should I mark construction lines on the car so I can lay out the panel lines and rivets where they're supposed to be?

     I have simply scribed a line to represent panel lines. Some panel edges were crimped to keep side sheets all in one plane, others were not. I am modifying a Branchline car to represent an SP auto car, and using the Archer double rivet rows (set AR88108) alongside the scribed lines.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history