Re: Construction Lines

arved_grass

Boy, I should learn to cut my posts better. Sorry!

It had occurred to me - that's why I said "My only other thought is to score the primer with the point of a knife/blade, but I'm not thrilled with that idea."

Failing any other ideas, or someone telling me I am overanalyzing things, that's my plan. In fact, I may just use the tips of the calipers I'll be using to lay out the dimensions.

Arved Grass
Arved_Grass@yahoo.com or Arved@I-Do-Photography.com
Fleming Island, Florida

On Fri, 11/14/14, 'paul.doggett2472' paul.doggett2472@yahoo.co.uk [STMFC] <STMFC@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Arved have you tried a new scalpel blade used
lightly should do what you require.Paul Doggett
UK

Sent
from Samsung mobile
"Arved Grass arved_grass@yahoo.com [STMFC]"
<STMFC@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

In between a lot of other projects (lately, mostly
learning Adobe Illustrator so I can produce my own decals
for Southern Pacific GS gondolas), I finally got around to
spraying Mr. Base White 1000 as a primer on my 40' Rock
Island PS-1 box car last night. For the record, thinned
50/50 with MEK, I think the MEK was a bit too
"hot" resulting in a very rough and grainy finish.
I loaded up the airbrush with clean lacquer thinner to try
to reflow the primer and get a smoother finish. Long story
short, I think I was successful.

The car I started with was a 10-panel welded side car. The
1948 built PS-1s for Rock Island were 12 panel riveted side
cars. I smoothed out the weld beads, and I have Archer
Transfers for panel lines and rivets.

How should I mark construction lines on the car so I can lay
out the panel lines and rivets where they're supposed
to be?

Pencil was my first thought, but I'm worried about
adhesion of the Archer Transfers over the graphite. Has that
been a problem with anyone else who's drawn construction
lines with pencil? If so, what alternatives do I have? My
only other thought is to score the primer with the point of
a knife/blade, but I'm not thrilled with that idea. An
ultra-fine tip Sharpie doesn't seem fine enough - even
if I sharpen the tip further, the ink tends to bleed.

So (the point of this post is) I am open to ideas.